Sr Staff Engineer, Mechanical and Systems Design
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Location: Fort Collins
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving
science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is
to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and
safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences
research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient
diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their
laboratories, we are here to support them.
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll
do important work that helps make the world healthier, cleaner and
safer. You will have real impact, and you'll be supported in
achieving your career goals.
The Sr Staff Engineer, Mechanical and Systems Design is part of
the commercial organization supporting the Biosciences Division
portfolio which includes reagents, instruments, and consumables
from across the division's six business units: Protein and Cell
Analysis; Antibodies and Immunoassays; Synthetic Biology; Sample
Preparation; Cell Biology; and Molecular Biology. This role will
reside in Fort Collins, CO.
How will you make an impact?
You will be instrumental in defining and developing instrument
and consumable products in the Biosciences Division, with specific
emphasis on flow cytometry and cell sorters. In leading system
definition & integration aspects of product development, you will
be collaborating with deeply knowledgeable, specialized engineers
and scientists to develop instruments and applications for our
world class analysis instruments.
What will you do?
- Partner with Team members in product management, biology,
chemistry, assay design, software design and system hardware to
develop products from concept through commercialization.
- Design and implement mechanical systems to support
- Exercise judgement and experience in Life Sciences to
understand customer needs, and drive complex instrument platforms
to completion meeting those customer needs.
- Conduct and facilitate trades among the different technical and
business functions to deliver optimized product performance.
- Execute and own data analysis and troubleshooting activities
during system integration, system characterization, and
- Ensure decisions are data-driven, by designing multifactorial
experiments, analyzing data, and clearly presenting results in a
clear and concise manner.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's or graduate degree in Engineering, Bioengineering,
or related technical discipline.
- 15+ years of hands-on engineering experience in developing RUO
life science instrumentation including consumables.
- 10+ years of hands-on SolidWorks experience designing complex
parts and assemblies.
- Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorters.
- Owning the entire product development life cycle, from
conception through commercialization, while meeting cost, schedule,
and performance requirements.
- Successful track record developing Life Science instruments
involving liquid handling, optics, mechanics, high-speed
electronics and firmware, software, and lab automation.
- Experience defining product requirements, building test setups
and troubleshooting systems.
- Experience leading cross functional teams.
- Ability to grasp and translate customer workflow needs in the
Life Sciences industry into scalable system architectures.
- Excellent organizational and technical skills, including the
ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple
programs/projects and priorities, and thrive in a fast-paced
- A team player with demonstrated ability to: inspire and
influence teams while driving projects to completion; manage
multiple stakeholders; effectively build and manage internal and
external relationships at senior levels.
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed environment &
willingness to travel up to 5%, domestic or internationally.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an
unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing
convenience and pharmaceutical services through our
industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied
Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and
Patheon. For more information, please visit
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Fort Collins , Sr Staff Engineer, Mechanical and Systems Design, Other , Fort Collins, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!