Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is seeking a
Project Engineer in Laramie, Wyoming. As a Project Engineer for
WYDOT's Laramie Design Squad, you will be located on the University
of Wyoming campus and be responsible for performing various duties,
under limited supervision, to provide a safe, high-quality,
efficient transportation system.
The purpose of this job is to develop, refine, review and sometimes
approve the design of highway construction plans for contract
bidding to improve safety on the state transportation system.
Laramie is a growing community along the Front Range and is home to
the University of Wyoming. The city offers nearby hiking, mountain
biking, skiing, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, and other outdoor
activities. Wyoming is one of only seven states with no state
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4467
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and
are not intended to describe every function which may be performed
at the job level.
- Working independently on projects of moderate to high
- Develop, refine, and review horizontal and vertical
- Establish dimensions and geometry of cross-sectional roadway
elements to determine and refine excavation, embankment, and haul
quantities to construct the roadway.
- Design and detail other roadway features such as guardrail
installations, drainage structures, and utility and right-of-way
impacts in accordance with applicable State and Federal design
policies and procedures using design software.
- Calculate pay quantities for materials used to construct
roadways and prepare computer spreadsheets summarizing these
- Attend periodic workshops to increase skills and knowledge.
Train others in new methods and procedures. Assist the design team
leader in training employees in aiding in their career
- Work with software programs and the design team to ensure the
work is done per scheduled dates set by the PCS system.
- Schedule, attend and lead plan inspections.
- Affix professional engineer (PE) stamp to contract plans.
- Assist the design team leader in the design team's daily
operation; attend meetings in the absence of the design team
- Provide student employees with knowledge, skills, and training
in various areas that are necessary to design roadways and develop
contract plans for roadway construction projects.
- Review the work of other employees.
- Knowledge of highway engineering concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of WYDOT's project/plan development procedures and
project flow charts.
- Use of Microstation computer drafting software and OpenRoads
- Technical writing. Communication. Time management. Computer
applications for office automation.
- Ability to work effectively with other Department Programs,
outside agencies, and the public.
- Give attention to detail and work under tight work
- Knowledge of mentoring and coaching skills.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local rules and
Education: Bachelor's Degree (in Engineering)
Experience: 1-2 years of progressive work experience in
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Professional Engineer's (PE)
License Required at time of hire - (Wyoming PE required within six
months of hire date.)
Necessary Special Requirements NOTES:
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- E-Verify: WYDOT uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to
confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the
United States. Learn more about E-Verify , including your rights
- The Wyoming Department of Transportation is a Drug-Free
Supplemental Information 045-Wyoming Department of Transportation -
Click Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to
the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent