Healthy Community Design and Built Environment Senior Health Educator
Company: Larimer County
Location: Fort Collins
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Larimer County Department of Health and Environment is in search
of a Healthy Community Design and Built Environment Senior Health
Educator to manage our Built Environment Program. A successful
candidate will have technical background in, understanding of, and
passion for community planning and design, including land use
planning and regulation, long range planning, and the overlap
between built environment and health. Additionally, this grant is
heavily focused on collaboration with partners in solving complex
issues around the built environment and equity. Experience in
collaboration and facilitation, complex project management, problem
solving, and equity work is important.
Specifically, this position:
- Develops, designs, and implements a specific health education
program. Evaluates program effectiveness and updates or modifies
program as appropriate.
- May exercise direct, first-level supervision over professional,
clerical staff, students, and volunteers. Directs activities within
a public health education program; may include coordinating staff
training, assigning and reviewing work, participating in the
interview and selection process, making recommendations impacting
pay, status, and disciplinary action, evaluating performance
independently or in conjunction with a higher-level
supervisor/manager, and approving time off.
- Assesses community concerns and needs; plans program goals and
- Prepares reports, position papers, resolutions, and procedures
for health education programs and issues or assists in the
preparation of these documents.
- Maintains and updates a variety of records, files, and reports
pertaining to assigned program; may need to follow specific
reporting requirements of the funder.
- Tracks budget for specific program as applicable.
- Locates community resources and secures funds when appropriate
for implementation of programs and activities; researches, prepares
and submits grant proposals or assists in the preparation of grant
- Serves as a consultant concerning health education and health
promotion; advises staff on health education activities and
provides technical assistance for staff.
- Acts as a resource or expert in program area for department and
community agencies concerning health information and
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other
community health agencies, organizations, and coalitions to promote
public health issues, programs, and services.
- Coordinates program activities and services with other
departments and divisions, outside agencies, and community
- Develops and implements educational/informational presentations
and materials including, fact sheets, newsletters, advertisements,
web information, and talking point papers.
- Evaluates effectiveness of health promotion and campaign
strategies and educational programs; develops and administers
- Assists in the development of communication plans and public
information activities; determines utilization of media sources
such as newspapers, radio, television, audio-visual and printed
materials to carry out public relations activities related to
- Participates in Department-wide activities that may include
strategic planning, quality improvement, and/or staff development,
To view the full job description, visit https://www.larimer.org/hr/careers/job-descriptions.
The ideal candidate will:
- Use routine software and business applications including, but
not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation
software, and databases.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations,
policies and standard operating procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
other County employees, representatives of other agencies and
organizations, and members of the community.
- Understand and use established principles and practices of
health education, public health promotion, disease prevention,
health equity, and public health policy.
- Understand and use established principles, practices,
objectives, and methods as related to program development,
promotion, marketing, education, and media communications in a
health education program.
- Have experience with recordkeeping and reporting
- Understand and use basic principles and practices of
grant/budget development and management.
- Effectively utilize the media and other methods of public
education under the guidance of the supervisor and the Public
Health Information officer.
- Supervise and mentor professional and support staff in a
productive and positive manner.
- Design, implement, and evaluate health education programs.
- Utilize appropriate technology to locate, research, and
disseminate information and resources.
- Write and review grant proposals and reports.
- Be detail-oriented and able to work in fast paced
- Understand land and municipal planning process.
- Be team focused.
- Preferably have an American Institute of Certified Planners
All candidates will be screened for the following required
minimum qualifications. Any candidate who does not meet all of the
qualifications listed as required will be eliminated from the
- Three (3) years of experience in community health education,
non-profit services, health services, a directly related field, or
in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or
university with major coursework in Health Education, Public
Health, Health Sciences, or a related field required. A Master's
Degree may substitute for one year of experience.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Driver's License
For all temporary positions, sick leave and our Employee
Assistance Program are available and other benefits may be
Larimer County offers the following for all Regular/Limited Term
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits.
- Flexible Spending Accounts / Health Savings Account
- Short and Long Term Disability.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Retirement Plan 401(a) with employer match.
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation.
- Paid time off including vacation, sick and holidays.
To view information on Larimer County's Benefits, visit https://www.larimer.org/hr/benefits.
This position is limited term. Individuals hired into limited
term positions are eligible for County benefits, however, the
position is limited in duration dependent upon available funding,
business need or signed contract or agreement.
The successful candidate for this position must be available to
work occasional evenings.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check. As
marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing
positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other
substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent
offer of employment being revoked. Successful completion of the
drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
All application components must be submitted by 11:59 PM MT on
the closing date listed.
Larimer County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and prohibits
discrimination and harassment in all employment practices on the
basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender
identity or expression, and sexual orientation), national origin,
marital status, disability, genetic information, age, military
status, or any other characteristic protected by law or
Keywords: Larimer County, Fort Collins , Healthy Community Design and Built Environment Senior Health Educator, Other , Fort Collins, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!