Company: City of Fort Collins
Location: Fort Collins
Posted on: January 27, 2023
POSITION TITLE: Electrician (Full-Time Regular) (Classified)
REQUISITION #: req5758
DEPARTMENT: Operation Services
LOCATION: OPERATION SERVICES BLDG
BENEFIT CATEGORY: Classified (Non-CBU) View Classifications &
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time Regular
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $49,194.00 - 73,791.00 (Salaries are paid
ANTICIPATED HIRING ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $59,100.00 - 65,492.00
(Salaries are paid biweekly)
SELECTION PROCESS: Application deadline is Open until filled.
You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully
submitted an application. Your completed application will be
forwarded to the hiring manager. You will be notified if you are
selected for further testing or interviews. Please keep your
contact information up-to-date. The status of your application will
be updated in your applicant profile. Post-offer background check,
motor vehicle report and drug test required within four calendar
days (96 hours) of offer.
The Community: The City of Fort Collins sits nestled against the
foothills of the Rocky Mountains alongside the banks of the Cache
La Poudre River. At 5,000 feet in elevation, residents enjoy a
moderate, four-season climate, with an average of 300 days of
sunshine per year. With 174,800 residents, Fort Collins is
Colorado's fourth-largest city and spans 57 square miles. With the
20 year growth projection, the City of Fort Collins is expected to
reach 255,000 residents.
The first people who hunted in this region arrived approximately
11,000 years ago, and Northern Colorado remains an integral part of
the traditional and ancestral homelands of the Arapaho, Cheyenne,
and Ute Nations. European-American trappers and traders arrived by
the early 1800s but rarely established permanent settlements. Gold
and silver discoveries in the Colorado mountains in the mid-1800s
and the prospect of land for farming and ranching attracted people
from eastern cities and across the globe to the Colorado Territory,
including what would become the town of Fort Collins; an
agricultural colony that emerged from its founding days as a
military fort. The expansion included the sugar beet industry's
growth, which brought new residents whose descendants still live
here today, including Mexican-American families from southern
Colorado, New Mexico, and northern Mexico, as well as Germans from
Russia. Since 1879, Fort Collins has been the home of the state's
land grant institution, Colorado State University, which currently
enrolls 34,000 students. Along with the university, the city's
major high-tech and manufacturing companies and breweries attract
new residents from all over the country and world. The community's
overall social diversity continues to grow.
There are abundant outdoor recreation opportunities available to
the many residents who enjoy healthy lifestyles. The nearby
Horsetooth Reservoir is a key attraction, as is the Cache La
Poudre-North Park Scenic Byway. The Downtown district provides many
venues for live music, shopping, dining, and nightlife within the
city. Fort Collins is widely considered the Craft Beer Capital of
Colorado. The City has a strong appreciation for arts, culture, and
entertainment. Various national organizations and magazines
recognize Fort Collins as one of the best places to live in the
The City's long list of acknowledgements includes:
- No. 2 Best Tasting Drinking Water in North America: American
Water Works - June 2021
- No. 5 Best Remote-Ready Cities: Livability.com Jan 2021
- Top 30 Creative Small Cities: CVSuite - May 2020
- No. 18 Safest Cities in America: SafeWise - April 2020
- No. 1 Best Place to Live: Livability.com March 2020
- No. 9 Most Fitness Friendly Places: SmartAsset - Dec 2019
- No. 7 Safest Driving Cities: Allstate - June 2019
- No. 4 Best U.S. Cities to Raise a Family: MarketWatch - April
- No. 9 Best Performing Cities: Milken Institute - Jan 2019
- No. 3 U.S. Cities with Highest Economic Confidence: Yahoo - Nov
- No. 2 Brain Concentration Index: Bloomberg - Nov 2018
- No. 1 City in America for Cycling: PeopleForBikes-May 2018
- Outstanding Achievement in Local Government Innovation Award:
Alliance for Innovation-April 2018
- The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award-Nov 2017
- 18th Best City for Career Opportunities: SmartAsset - Sep
- 3rd Best College Town to Live in Forever: College Ranker - July
- 25 Best Towns Ever: Where to Live Now: Outside Magazine - June
- No. 1 Stable and Growing Housing Market: Realtor.com-June
- 11th Happiest City in America: Yahoo! Finance - March 2017
- No. 9 Top 150 Cities for Millennials Report: Millennial
Personal Finance - Feb 2017
- No. 2 Best Cities for Small Business Owners: ValuePenguin - Feb
Why Work For the City of Fort Collins?
- Medical, dental, vision (for self, spouse, children) - eligible
on the 1st of the month following date of hire
- Paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick
- Retirement + company contributions - after 6 month probation
period and immediate vesting
- Flexible spending: Medical expenses FSA, dependent FSA or
- Employee Assistance Program: counseling, legal, financial
- Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Wellness program, workout facilities
- Employee/family onsite health clinic
- Personal & professional learning opportunities including
supervisory and leadership development; plus career mobility
- Collaborative work environment
Where do you go for your typical day of work? You can findus at
parks, recreational facilities, natural areas, fire stations,
officebuildings, golf courses, gardens, theatres, and more. Maybe
you'd like to joinus! The City of Fort Collins is looking for a
licensed and experienced electrician to serve on its Operation
Services team. This position is ideal for awell-rounded
professional electrician who carries a State of Colorado
JourneyElectrician's license and approximately 8 or more years'
experience in thetrade.
Employment with the City brings along things that are uniquein the
trade industries: consistency and stability. Work is related to
theinspection, installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical
systems inconformance with safety laws and standards. Projects
involve both independentwork and team collaboration. Apply now!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the
primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all
- Performs maintenance, alteration, repair, and installation of
electrical systems, equipment, and fixtures in accordance with
standard practices of the electrical trade
- Installs new or upgraded electrical equipment and/or systems
for the purpose of construction, tenant finishing, or remodeling
and completes circuits according to diagram specifications and code
- Responds to electrical service or trouble calls, troubleshoots
various problems/issues, and provides problem resolution
- Prepares working sketches and works from blueprints,
schematics, and written or verbal instructions
- Estimates materials, labor, and equipment costs
- Maintains records and prepares daily activity reports
- Assists in the maintenance and repair work in a variety of
skilled trades areas
- Demonstrated cultural competence to effectively interact, work,
and develop meaningful relationships with people of diverse
identities, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong learning orientation. Leverages all resources and is
creative in ways of learning for self to continue adapting to
changing issues and trends.
- A desire and ability to understand the diverse needs of
internal and external customers, and to create experiences and
deliver services that exceed their expectations.
- A desire and ability to utilize digital tools for
organizational information, individual, and teamwork.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code and City building
- Knowledge of electrical-related energy conservation measures
- Ability to read blueprints, specifications, and
- Ability to provide budget cost estimates and prepare electrical
- Ability to use a computer and appropriate software
- Ability to operate equipment such as Volt Ohms and Amp Meters,
hand and power tools, conduit benders, knock out cutters, man
lifts, megger, power quality and methane calibration
- Ability to install, maintain, diagnose and repair major
electrical components and systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with co-workers, other departments/divisions of the
City, City management, public officials, and the general
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to be on 24-hour call.
- Ability to work completely independently.
High School Diploma or GED and/or functionally related licenses or
- 8-10 years' experience in electrical trade, construction,
and/or maintenance and repair; or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely
to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job
description task. We are most interested in finding the best
candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less
traditional background. The City may consider an equivalent
combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet
minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we
encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set
for the role.
- Journey Electrician's License issued by the State of Colorado
or state issued equivalent. Valid Driver's License.
The content in this posting was created for recruitment purposes.
To view the full job description click the link below.
The City of Fort Collins will make reasonable accommodations for
access to City services, programs and activities and will make
special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities.
Please call (970) 221-6535 for assistance.
Notice Regarding Medical and/or Recreational Marijuana Use
Because the possession and use of marijuana, whether for medical
use or otherwise, constitutes a federal offense and because the
City is a drug free workplace, the City will not accommodate the
medical use of marijuana and enforces written policy prohibiting
working for the City while marijuana is in the body. The fact that
state law recognizes medical marijuana as a prescribed, or
otherwise permitted, medication does not alter or otherwise change
The City of Fort Collins is a bias-conscious employer. We ask that
you please avoid the use of photos when submitting a resume and/or
an application for employment. The City of Fort Collins is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for
which they have applied without regard to gender (regardless of
gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion,
creed, national origin, ancestry, age 40 years or older, marital
status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information,
pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the
purpose of this City policy "sexual orientation" means a person's
actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality,
BACKGROUND CHECK, MOTOR VEHICLE REPORT AND DRUG TEST REQUIRED
WITHIN FOUR CALENDAR DAYS/96 HOURS OF OFFER.
Note: Some information in your application may be public
information under the Colorado Open Records Act.
Keywords: City of Fort Collins, Fort Collins , Electrician, Professions , Fort Collins, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!